Are you trying to find the best cordless screwdriver with the perfect combination of power, weight, and affordability? If you’ve been shopping around, then by now you must realize that quite often cordless screwdrivers sacrifice one of these criteria to meet the others! Frustrating, isn’t it?
Well, our review provides some good news! We’ve put together a list of the top 10 cordless screwdriver models on the market – complete with in-depth reviews of our top three pick.
We’ll show you what puts them head and shoulders above the rest of the pack, plus give some useful information on what to look for in your hunt for the cordless screwdriver that’s perfect for you.
Matching a Cordless Screwdriver to Your Needs
Your cordless screwdriver is not a “one-size-fits-all” deal. There are design and operation differences that you will need to consider. Here are a few:
- Shape. Are you more comfortable with a straight or pistol-style handle? A straight handle works fine for most jobs, but if you need to get into hard to reach areas, then your best bet is to with a pistol grip. Some screwdrivers are a convenient combination of both styles.
- Battery. If your cordless screwdriver is to be put to frequent use, then you should be looking for one with a fast charging, long-life battery. In this category, think lithium-ion or nickel-cadmium (NiCad) batteries. They are pretty durable, lasting up to three times as long as most other types of batteries.
- Spindle Lock. Yes, a cordless screwdriver is a power tool, but will you ever need to use it as a manual one instead? Think about that; if you do, go for a model that gives you a spindle lock option so your screwdriver can be operated with muscle power.
Top 10 Cordless Screwdrivers
What Do High-Quality Cordless Screwdrivers Offer?
Although these extra features might bump up the price of the screwdriver, they are often well worth the extra spend!
- Reverse Action. This makes it possible for your screwdriver to take a screw out as easily as put one in. It seems like a real “no-brainer,” but not every cordless screwdriver comes with this feature.
- Light. Having to work in tight spaces can also mean having to work in dark spaces. That’s why some of the best cordless screwdriver models have an integrated LED light. Hey, it’s much better than trying to maneuver a flashlight and your screwdriver at the same time!
- Solid Warranty and Guarantee. Manufacturers who believe in the quality of their product are willing to stand behind it. Check how much warranty your screwdriver is sold with, as well as, whether it comes with any sort of refund policy. The best brands give the best terms, along with free service within a specified time.
- Accessories. These add value to your purchase, but be warned – they may also add to the cost. Some of the best electric screwdriver models will include at least one extra battery, a handy carrying case, several different bits and perhaps, even a drill bit.
Top 3 Best Cordless Screwdriver Reviews
If you are looking for a well-built, lightweight cordless screwdriver that’s good to go right out of the box, then the best candidate is the DEWALT 12V MAX Cordless Screwdriver.
This screwdriver comes with two 12-volt Lithium-Ion batteries and an efficient one-hour Lithium-Ion charger. They pretty much eliminating bothersome downtime, so you can get jobs done quicker. The threat of downtime is further reduced by the industrial, quick-release, hex-shank chuck which makes bit changing a breeze while you work.
The DEWALT has variable speed in the range of 0-1,050 RPM and 375 inch-pounds of maximum torque output. Translated, that means this versatile tool gives you sufficient power for tough jobs, plus desired control when working on light-gauge materials.
Adding to this screwdriver’s versatility is the fact that it locks securely into two operating positions: in-line and angled. It makes for a more user-friendly, comfortable experience as you can adjust the handle’s position to match your body position and the space you are working in.
Reviewers often comment that the limited 3-year warranty, 1-year free service contract, and 90-day money-back guarantee leave them with peace of mind when purchasing and owning the DEWALT.
BE prepared to be pleasantly surprised and extremely satisfied with what the DEWALT DCF680N2 can do!
Let’s start off with the “gyroscopic” part of its name. Essentially, it means you can switch the direction in which the screwdriver rotates, simply by rotating your wrist. Clockwise for driving and tightening your screws and fasteners. Anti-clockwise for loosening and removing them. Remember righty-tighty, lefty-loosey? Well, now it’s all in your wrist!
Compact and weighing just over 1 pound, the DEWALT DCF680N2 is worthy of the description “pocket-sized.” Take it everywhere and know its two lithium-ion batteries will hold plenty of charges to help get the job done.
Here are some of the other good things the DEWALT DCF680N2 brings to the table: variable speed (0-430 RPM) to suit the material you’re working on; a two-position handle so you can select either pistol grip or straight; and 15 clutch position settings.
While the top two positions were taken by DEWALT, in third place for a best cordless screwdriver, is a Black & Decker model. We should probably point out, though, that DEWALT is a subsidiary of Stanley Black & Decker, so it’s no surprise the same innovative technology is at work here too, with the BLACK+DECKER LDX120C.
This drill/driver combination incorporates an 11-position clutch into its lightweight and compact design. A part of why it’s so lightweight is the fact that it uses a lithium-ion battery which gives it a longer run time without the added weight. Reviewers generally feel it’s a good-sized cordless screwdriver, well suited for persons with small hands or small body frame.
A few features that make the LDX120C easy to use include light for working in dark spaces and the comfortable grip of its ergonomically designed handle.