Whether you are repairing a small, delicate part of an object, you’re working on a craft project, or have an envelope where the stickiness of the strip has faded, glue can often come in very handy.
But the best glue for plastic? Which is it?
In our guide below, we’ll be taking a look at the top plastic adhesives with you and help you understand how to choose one.
Let’s start by taking a look at the top 10 products in our table.
Top 10 Glue for Plastic
Aspects of the Best Adhesive for Plastic
- Safety. Check what method is recommended for removal in case the glue gets on the skin, or if it is unintentionally applied to an item. Similarly, make sure you know what steps to take if it is accidentally ingested. As part of this proves, it is prudent to ensure that the area you are working in is ventilated as the glue can often have a powerful odor.
- Strength. Consider whether you want the repair to be permanent and how long it takes the bond to take effect.
- Type of Receptacle. Though it may sound trivial, the shape of the receptacle containing the glue is an important consideration as this will dictate that actions needed in order to use the glue. For example, a squeezable bottle that tapers to a small nozzle will be easy to apply directly to the relevant surface. Glue that comes in a tin or jar will require a spatula or similar tool for gathering and application.
- Quantity. The amount of glue that you need will depend on the task for which it is required, as needing to glue a large amount of plastic will require the requisite amount of glue.
- Guarantee. Some brands are so confident in their product that they are in a position to guarantee whether the result of using their glue will be permanent or not. Consider these claims in conjunction with the project you intend to carry out to determine whether this is a necessary requirement.
There are a number of steps necessary to consider and undertaken when using glue with plastic components:
- Check how long the drying process takes.
- Consider whether you need to clean the surface of the plastic first to prevent any dirt or debris interfering with the effect of the glue.
- Check whether the glue dries clear or whether it will leave any marks.
- As a result of using the glue, the qualities of the plastic will need to match that of the existing components. This will often mean that it needs to be waterproof.
- Needs to be thin enough to allow for a tight seal, which will help to ensure that the components do not come apart due to a gap being formed as a result of an application of glue.
- Must be able to stick without being so strong that it distorts the plastic.
- Check whether it is suitable for sticking plastic components to other plastic components, or whether it will also work with sticking plastics to other materials.
- After using the glue, make sure the lid is put back in place tightly to prevent it drying out.
Top 5 Best Glue for Plastic Reviews
Loctite Liquid Professional superglue comes in a small bottle weighing 20g, which is a sufficient amount as a little goes a long way. It is not necessary to use a significant amount of glue.
It is also possible to buy in a multipack rather than as a single bottle, if more is required.
As it is a super glue rather than a standard adhesive, it provides an instant bond that lasts. Not only does it work on plastics, but also on a range of other materials so it is suitable for attaching plastic to other materials.
The squeezable bottle is topped by a slim nozzle that makes it possible to apply the glue precisely, which is necessary because it works quickly.
For an effective adhesive that only requires a few seconds to work, Loctite Liquid Professional is the best glue for plastic.
Loctite Ultra Gel is a glue that is a step above the standard super glue as it is more gel than a liquid. The thick consistency prevents it from dripping, which makes it ideal for use on vertical surfaces or upside down.
The formula of the glue comes about from the use of technology that provides rubber-infusion.
The result of using this glue is a flexible bond that holds fast and can be relied upon. It is resistant to pulling and twisting and will remain strong.
This makes it an excellent glue for a range of products, such as toys and figurines as works well with plastic.
For a well-known name in adhesives that is effective, Loctite Ultra Gel will do the job.
Testors 3509C is a two-pack of glue with each tube containing 7/8oz, which is ideal for use with plastic model kits. However, it can also be used in a number of other situations.
It is plastic cement, so it creates a bond that is equivalent to the solid parts of the plastic.
This glue is easy to use as the package contains four nozzles, which taper down to a slim point to make it possible to dispense small quantities at any one time. This is especially useful for affixing small components as it can be directly applied.
The nozzles are easy to attach and remove and the normal lid can be fixed back in place for it to be stored.
Testors 3509C is an ideal glue for those who enjoy modelling.
Glue Masters Instant Glue is a medium viscosity glue that is in liquid format and can be dispensed from the tapered nozzle of the slim bottle.
The bottle contains 2oz, but it can also be obtained in other quantities. However, it is not necessary to use a significant amount of glue as it is made from Cyanoacrylate resin, which creates an industrial strength adhesive.
It is versatile enough to be used in a range of different scenarios.
After application, the components only need to be held together for about 30 seconds for the adhesive to take effect and the result is strong.
Glue Masters Instant Glue is a great addition to any toolbox.
Gorilla is the best epoxy for plastic. It is a clear liquid glue that provides a permanent bond that works on plastics, as well as other materials.
The 0.85oz bottle can be bought singly or within a multipack. The bottle is a type of syringe, which makes it easy to dispense the glue cleanly and in the desired quantity. After use, the lid can be replaced so that it is ready for the next use.
It is beneficial for all kids of plastic as it dries clear so will not leave any marks and leaves a clean result.
It is a strong glue that is designed for permanent repairs, and it takes only five minutes to set. This creates sufficient time to position the components correctly.
For a hardwearing glue that is resistant to solvents, Gorilla Epoxy is the way to go.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Gorilla Glue Good For Plastic?
Yes, Gorilla Glue works on a variety of plastics. However, it is not recommended for polystyrene, polypropylene or polyethylene plastics.