Most grout contains sand and as such, it is very porous. This means that without an effective sealant, the grout will draw in water and then start to break down.
While getting a grout sealer is a no brainer, it isn’t always so easy to know which suppliers provide your grout with the protection it needs.
If you use this guide, you will have direct access to the best products on the market and all the information that you could possibly need to decide between all of the quality options.
Points to Remember
Here are a few important things to remember before you decide which is the best grout sealer for your project.
- Specific Purpose. Grout sealer is something that needs to be bought for specific purposes, not for general use. There is no perfect grout sealer that will suit every job and have all of the durability and ease that you would want it to have. Consider your specific project and buy accordingly.
- Inside or Outside. Where you will be using the grout sealer inside or outside of your home will determine the kind of makeup that you need. For example, bathroom sealers need to be silicone-based and not water-based.
- Time and effort. Applying grout sealer can be similar but it is not always the same. You should consider how much time and effort your project requires and then consider the different kinds of possible applications like using a brush, roller, spray, or specialized tool.
Top 10 Grout Sealers
What to Look for Grout Sealer Products
There are two types of grout sealers: surface and penetrating:
- Surface. Surface grout sealers will form a membrane that protects the surface of the tiles and grout to protect it from water and dirt.
- Penetrating. This is a more durable kind of grout sealer that outlasts the surface sealers. These are, however, much harder to apply.
Note: In either category, you can find both water and silicone-based sealers. To research which would be the best grout sealer for your project, consider the reviews of the experts that have used the sealers and seen them in action.
Top 3 Best Grout Sealer Reviews
Using the Tuff Duck Granite, Grout, and Marble Sealer ensures that you will have a properly protected grout in a single coat. Not only can you rely on the seal, but this product doesn’t alter the appearance of the stone or tile around it either.
This is something that is even true if you use the sealer with limestone, slate, and concrete too.
In terms of value, this is also a very good deal. A 1 quart bottle can cover up to 200 square feet. You can use this product on whole projects without worrying that you might run out, especially since one coat has all of the effectiveness you could ever need.
The application of this sealer could not be made any easier. You really just need to brush it on, wait 15 minutes and then wipe away any excess. This can also be used as a sealer to remedy cracks rather than it just being used to treat entire areas.
The Black Diamond Stoneworks Color Enhancer Sealer is made to be used with all-natural stone and pavers. This kind of versatility makes it a great product right off the bat.
In terms of how well the sealing agents work, you will not find a more durable and long-lasting one than this. The sealer keeps grease and water from penetrating the surface of the stone. This makes the product particularly good to use in kitchens and outdoor cooking areas.
Few other products protect against grease and water the way that this one does. If you are worried about how effective the product will be, then the company does offer 4oz trial sizes, but it really is worth just buying the amount that you need as it can be used will all-natural stone.
For a more natural-looking sealer that doesn’t lose any effectiveness as a result, the Aqua Mix Sealers Choice Gold is one of the best options in terms of value for money and ease of application. This is a water-based sealer, which also means that it is suitable for use with most stones and natural materials as opposed to those that are made with silicon.
This sealer is one that is used by professionals in tile installation, so it is definitely one you can trust to be effective when you do the installation work yourself. This is also a great sealer to re-coat areas and grout when there are blemishes and cracks.
This is a thinner sealer so it will take a few applications to get the natural and durable look that you would want.
If you do 3-4 coats then you will need a few hours to complete the entire sealing project. This is not the cheapest sealer or the one-time application option but it is the most effective and long-lasting for your money.