Are you a hobbyist woodcutter who spends his or her time tinkering with DIY projects or are you a craftsman looking for a top-quality saw that you would be using on a daily basis?
A hand saw is a classic tool in the garage and workshops around the globe, but choosing one can be a bit tricky!
In our guide below, we will highlight some of the best hand saw models, provide you with detailed tips on how to go about choosing one, and then finally share our reviews of the top three saws.
Things to Consider
A hand saw may seem like a simple tool, but there are some things you should keep in mind before buying one:
- How to Measure It. Hand saws have sharp metal points underneath their surface, and the thing to remember is they are measured in TPI (teeth per inch). A higher TPI means the hand saw can cut larger, harder surfaces smoothly.
- Cutting Direction. A hand saw has two types of teeth: crosscut and rip.
A crosscut saw cuts in both push and pull directions while a rip saw only cuts in the pull direction and is normally found in Japanese hand saws.
Top 10 Hand Saws
How to Recognize a High-Quality Hand Saw
There are signs which can tell whether you’ve got the best hand saw quality-wise, some which are obvious, some not. Here’s what you should check when you get your hand saw:
- Sharpness. Run your thumb very lightly underneath your hand saw (be careful!). If you feel some friction, like the points are trying to hold your thumb back, you’re good to go. Also, closely examine whether the teeth are evenly distanced. All this affects sharpness.
- Construction. Check whether your hand saw is straight or not. Do this by placing the hand saw perpendicular to your eyes (like you would hold a gun but much straighter). Make sure there is no bending as it could affect your movement while cutting.
How to Properly Maintain Your Hand Saw
A hand saw like any other tool, person or relationship requires some maintenance for optimal running and long life. Here are extremely easy tips on how to maintain your hand saw:
- Keep the Blades Covered. The heart of the hand saw is its blade as it’s the part that does the real work, so, keep it covered with a sheath. The chances are that it came with a sheath, but if not, you can purchase one separately since they don’t cost much.
- Oil It Properly. A responsible person always keeps their tools properly oiled, and you should too. Not oiling your hand saw may let rust develop, which is like cancer for your hand saw.
Top 3 Best Hand Saw Reviews
The Shark Corp 10-2410 is an excellent hand saw for general cutting or trimming. It has a 10-5/8-inch high-carbon Japanese spring steel blade which is 17 teeth-per-inch (TPI): this means that not only does it cut easily through wood, it’s also great at cutting unconventional items such as tree roots, PVC pipes, and plastic materials.
The bonus is the high-quality plastic handle attached to the saw, which provides you with excellent grip even if you have slippery, sweaty hands: it won’t compromise your efficiency, and the saw will work smoothly.
The overall construction of this hand saw is amazing, probably lasting you a few years or even more if you give it proper care such as oiling and keeping it in a sheath.
The Japanese made Ryoba Double Edge is the best hand saw for all woodcutters out there. The feature which makes it more unique than a traditional western saw is its excellent double-edged blades.
Moreover, get this: it has a rip blade on one side and a crosscut blade on the other. This feature makes it an extremely versatile saw for all kinds of woodworking.
Performance-wise, the saw is extremely effective but works differently than traditional hand saws. Instead of forceful push and pull strokes, the Ryoba hand saw cuts just in the pull direction, taking less power and cutting accurately in clean cuts.
Also, its teeth are hardened which means they last a long time, and even if they do wear off, you can simply replace the blade. So, for the avid woodworker or general-purpose user, this is the ideal hand saw requiring little-to-no maintenance, easy to work with, and with durable construction.
The IRWIN hand saw is the ultimate hand saw for your cutting needs. Everything from the shape of the teeth to the handle and the blade’s metal has been thoughtfully put together.
The result is super easy to use, and powerful hand saw which cuts through wood three times faster than other hand saws.
This hand saw has special ‘triple ground’ teeth; the handle has a unique design to made sure minimum force is needed, and the blade itself is coated with a special lacquer coating.
All this ensures you IRWIN Tools universal handsaw works properly, lasts a long time, and looks good. For the hardcore enthusiasts or those looking for the best of the best, this handsaw is all you need for any job.