Tree and yard maintenance requires quite a few different tools, but when it comes to cutting through the thick stuff, a chainsaw is the most effective tool to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Though a garden with mature trees can be a lovely part of any home, it can also result in damage and disputes should any branches break off or – even worse – if the tree falls.
If you’ve finally decided to add a chainsaw to the tool pile, then we definitely have some useful tips for you in our guide below.
You set out in search of the best homeowner chainsaw and we have the top 7 models for you here in our guide!
Top 7 Homeowner Chainsaws
|1. SOS Gear Pocket Chainsaw and Fire Starter - Survival Hand Saw||Manual||$||4.5|
|2. Sportsman Pocket Chainsaw 36 Inches Long With FREE Fire Starter!||Manual||$||4.4|
|3. Black+Decker LCS1240 40V MAX Lithium Ion Chainsaw||Battery||$$$||4.5|
|4. WORX 16-Inch 14.5 Amp Electric Chainsaw||Electric||$$||4.3|
|5. Husqvarna 120 Mark II 16 in. Gas Chainsaw||Fuel||$$$$||4.3|
|6. Poulan Pro PR4218, 18 in. 42cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw||Fuel||$$$$||4.4|
|7. Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw||Fuel||$$$$||4.6|
How to Choose a Chainsaw
- Weight. The need to hold a chainsaw while working means that it is essential to take the weight into account. You need to be able to comfortably hold for the period over which you will be carrying out your project, and you need to be able to do this without your strength faltering in order to remain safe.
- Grip Style. Linked to the weight of the chainsaw if the type of grip used as this will play a part in how comfortable it is to use. As part of this step, bear in mind that any motorized tool will result in a certain level of vibrations, which can affect how easy it is to maintain a grip on the handles.
- Style of Blade. There are different types of blades that can be part of a chainsaw, such as differing in shape or flexibility. The blades can also be edged in different ways or can be interchangeable.
- Power Source. For a chainsaw that does not need to be connected to the mains, you need to consider the power source that it uses and how easy this is to work with. Needing to fill it with gas, for example, can mean having to have some stored, which can be dangerous. Whereas a battery will need to be recharged. The power source will dictate whether it can be cordless.
- Safety. Having a power cut-off or similar safety feature can often prove useful when using a potentially dangerous tool, such as a chainsaw. Check whether it comprises anything like this, such as an automatic cut-off feature that operates when a wrist loop is pulled free, such as when the chainsaw is dropped.
- Instructions. Using a chainsaw is not for the faint-hearted and needs to be undertaken with great care, accordingly, if you have never done it before, determine whether the chainsaw comes with any instructions or tips on how to use it.
Top 3 Best Homeowner Chainsaw Reviews
The pocket chainsaw by SOS Gear is a manual version that is ideal for the type of small tree pruning tasks that can arise when you have a garden.
It is also highly portable and this makes it an ideal addition to your pack if you are going camping or hiking.
It is made up of a 24” chain of linked cutting blades that are capable of cutting in both directions. They are made from steel and the nylon looped handles at each end are firmly attached and strong enough to not let you down whilst using the chainsaw.
The SOS Gear pocket chainsaw is entirely flexible, so it is possible to use it for tasks of all sizes.
As a bonus, it comes with useful accessories, including a belt pouch, a compass, and a whistle.
For a versatile and easy to use tool, the SOS Gear pocket chainsaw is the best homeowner chainsaw.
The Sportsman Industries Pocket chainsaw is a 36” long flexible, manual chainsaw that comprises cutting teeth that works in both directions.
Made of heat-treated steel, the chain is strong and self-cleaning, but it is still lightweight and easy to use.
The heavy-duty handles do not contribute to the length of the chain, so there is plenty to work with.
It comes with a carry case and can be sharpened with a standard chainsaw file.
The Sportsman Industries Pocket chainsaw has the qualities necessary to make it ideal for hunting or camping.
The Black+Decker LCS1240 is a cordless chainsaw that is powered by a lithium-ion battery.
The 40V tool has a 12” bar and chain that has a low kick-back.
It is lightweight and comprises well-placed handles that allow for a firm grip.
It is easy to maintain as it is self-oiling.
For an easy to maneuver cordless chainsaw from a well-known brand, the Black+Decker LCS1240 is a great example.