If you’ve ever been stuck for a long period of time in a power outage, you probably realize how useful and valuable a portable generator can be. Easy to transport and great for areas without access to conventional power sources, a portable generator can mean the difference between comfort and disaster.
There are a lot of models to choose from and here in our handy guide, we cover all of the basics. We’re here to help you choose the best portable generator to meet your individual needs.
- Portable generators are great for providing adequate power to small appliances during prolonged power outages. They are also a great convenience for camping, tailgating, and limited power tool use on construction job sites. However, they are not strong enough for the heavy drain of larger appliances like central air conditioning. A larger generator should be considered to run full, draining electrical loads.
- Portable generators require large amounts of gasoline, propane, or diesel, fuels that are extremely flammable and hazardous. It is important to handle the fuel for your portable generator with care and follow all manufacturers’ safety instructions.
- If you plan to regularly transport your generator, it is important to consider weight and dimensions before making your decision. Smaller, lighter models are good options for tailgating, camping, and other travel-related activities.
Top 10 Portable Generators
Tips for Buying a Portable Generator
Don’t purchase your portable generator without first reading the information in this section.
- Fuel. Traditional electrical generators take the energy stored in fossil fuels such as propane, gasoline, or diesel, and convert it into mechanical energy. However, some more modern generators actually use power sources like car batteries or solar panels.
- Electrical Load. It is important to consider the electrical load your portable generator will need to support. This will require a little bit of basic math. You will need to add up the wattage requirements for the appliances or tools you wish to power and match your needs with a generator’s wattage output.
The greater the generator’s wattage, the more power it generates. It is also important to remember that the higher the generator’s wattage output, the more fuel it will require to run effectively and efficiently.
- Wheels. Don’t forget that transporting a heavy unit like this is much easier if you can wheel it around rather than carry it.
This isn’t a crucial feature, but it is one to take into consideration as you compare and contrast all of the models.
Top 3 Best Portable Generator Reviews
The Honda Generator runs so quietly that you’ll forget it’s even running. You’ll be able to carry on a conversation, listen to music, or hear the television without even having to turn up the volume.
In spite of its whisper-quiet motor, it is still powerful enough to run most of your household essentials including, lights, refrigerator, and television.
Lightweight for easy portability, the Honda Generator is a great option for use as emergency back-up power, or for camping and tailgating. You’ll love the way this generator powers up easily, often on the first pull.
Its durability, dependability, and easy serviceability make this the best portable generator on the market today.
The WEN 56475 Portable Generator is just the kind of insurance you need for natural disasters and power outages. Its dependability and rugged power are enough to provide peace of mind in a number of situations.
It is strong enough to power household essentials, your RV campsite, or even a small backyard workshop.
It starts up easily right out of the box, usually on the first or second pull. Lightweight and quiet, the WEN 56475 Portable Generator is everything you want in a portable generator. You just can’t go wrong with this one.
Conveniently running on either gasoline or propane and starting up with just the push of a button, this Champion Portable Generator is ready to run straight out of the box. Runs great in both cold and hot weather, making it very convenient for midwinter, freezing temperature power outages.
It runs smoothly even with extended use. It comes ready to hit the road with a standard 30A RV outlet, making it a great choice for camping or cross-country travel.
Strong enough to power all of your essentials, and durable enough to stand up to harsh weather conditions, the Champion Power Equipment Dual Fuel Portable Generator is a great investment.