Did you know wood burning has a more ‘scientific’ name which is as awesome as wood burning itself? Yes! Wood burning is also known as pyrography which means “drawing with fire,” so, if you’re starting wood burning, or already do it, you’re a pyrographer!
So, now that we’ve made you feel much cooler, it is time you browse for what you came for, our excellent list of the best wood burning tool products.
A wood-burning tool, as you may already ready know, is just a pen. This pen, however, is totally hardcore, has electricity pulsing through it, and lets you make art by burning wood.
Having a high-quality wood-burning tool can make all the difference to the quality of the final drawing, because unlike those who keep it safe with pencils and erasers, in wood-burning there are no second chances.
Things a Wood Burning Artist Should Keep in Mind
A wood burning tool/pen is simple enough to use but can be quite dangerous if you’re new to it. Here are some things to keep in mind when you get a wood burning tool:
- Keep it Safe. A wood burning tool can get very hot on the tip at hundreds of degrees (Fahrenheit). So make sure to purchase a set of heat resistant gloves for ultimate protection. Also, always keep the hot end of the tool in its metal stand after use.
- Do Some Experimenting. Wood burning tools have different tips and ways to control their temperatures. To get the hang of things, draw some lines on a spare piece of wood to notice the depth and color given by each tip and temperature setting.
- Take Care of The Pen Tips. When using a pen, if there is smoke coming out of the wood, it means the tip is very hot. Let it cool down a bit. Also, keep a wet towel near you and clean the tips whenever needed.
Top 10 Wood Burning Tools
Important Aspects of a Wood Burning Tool
There are three basic types of wood-burning tools. Make sure you know the difference so you can get the best wood burning tool for your needs:
- Fixed Temperature Wood Burning Tool. This type of wood-burning tool simply connects to your socket. The way to achieve different shades is by changing its tip, which comes in different sizes.
- Rheostat Wood Burning Tool. This wood-burning tool has a rheostat attached to its cord which can be adjusted to change the temperature of the pen: this makes drawing different shades easier.
- Variable Temperature Wood Burning Tool. This kind of wood burning pen has a temperature controller attached to it: this means that the pen allows you to control the shading, allowing you to move faster and be more flexible.
Top 3 Best Wood Burning Tool Reviews
Which is the best wood burning tool on our list? We felt that these three were the top contenders and would like to share our opinions about them in this section.
For a serious beginner who’s inspired by the art of pyrography and seriously wants to invest both time and money into their wood-burning skills, the BURNMASTER Eagle Pro is a great companion.
The pen itself runs on a 130-watt 2-port woodburner and connects to a power source using the included heavy-duty cord. The tip of the pen is interchangeable meaning you can change the tips for greater variation in the lines and shades you can draw. As an added bonus, it comes with 15-burning tips so you don’t have to purchase them separately.
This pen is one of the highest quality pens on the market. It is very predictable and gives the same shade no matter how many times you turn it on or off. The tips itself are sturdy and don’t break under pressure, and due to its solid construction, the pen doesn’t get hot around its body.
Both beginners and pros both will appreciate its speed and accuracy, and for this reason, it’s totally worth its price and will constantly give great results.
For a budget-conscious woodworker looking for the best value for their money, you won’t need to look further than this. The Wall Lenk Woodworker is made especially for people getting started or those who already wood burning hobbyists.
The set includes everything an aspiring pyrographer would need and will be a great way for them to develop their potential and expand their woodworking skills. For starters, you’ll get a highly accurate professional woodworking pen whose tip can get as hot as 1050F, meaning it’ll burn even the hardest of woods with ease.
Next, you’ll have your various interchangeable tips, a total of ten of which 7 are for burning, two are for cutting and fusing, and one for soldering.
Lastly, you’ll get a very useful guide to show you what goes where and how to use the tools overall. Also, you will get the underrated but equally important metal stand to put your tool in when drawing.
All this is enclosed in a storage case for safe protection makes it a highly versatile set and one of the best tools for wood burning in the market and a great deal for any beginner or pro.
This excellent wood burning tool is an extremely versatile and precise piece of gadgetry capable of assisting in the most demanding of projects. It is not just a wood-burning tool; it is much more. This tool can help with soldering, shrinking, and even cutting and it does everything with accuracy and precision.
The pen has one of the most advanced technologies built into its body. The most impressive function is that it runs on butane gas which it stores in its built-in container. When full, it can run a full 75 minutes.
The best feature has got to be the self-ignition system: this means you can say bye-bye to those annoying cords. Also, the pen has a safety and flame lock-on button to make sure it starts and stops heating exactly when you need it.
Included in the case are many useful pen tips like a soldering tip, wind blower tip, hot air tip, deflector, cutting knife, shaping knife, and a protective cap. In addition to those, you also get useful items like a sponge, wrenches, and tins.
The Dremel 2000-01 is an excellent tool for an aspiring wood burning artist and if you’re a technician, it’s the tool you’ve been dreaming of!