Wood carving is a highly rewarding hobby to take up. It allows you to create beautiful works of art by cutting, chipping, and scraping pictures or shapes out of wood. To do this effectively, however, you need to be sure that you are using the best wood carving tools available. Once you have them, you will be on your way to mastering the skills and techniques of a true wood carving artisan.
But what makes one set of wood carving tools better than another? With so many different options out there, it can be really difficult to find the set that will meet your needs. Lucky for you, that’s where we come in! We have reviewed the best of the best tools on the market today.
In this article, you’ll get the background knowledge you need to find the right tools for you, and also in-depth reviews of what we consider to be the best available choices.
Top 10 Wood Carving Tools
|Picture||Name||Number of Pieces||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Flexcut Tool Deluxe Wood Carvers Palm Tool and Knife Set-Flexcut||9||$$$$||4.8|
|2. Mikisyo Power Grip Carving Tools, Five Piece Set||5||$$||4.6|
|3. Gimars 12 Set SK5 Carbon Steel Wax & Wood Carving Tools Knife Kit||12||$||4.5|
|4. VonHaus 10 pc Premium Craftsman Woodworking Wood Chisel Set||10||$$$||4.6|
|5. Stanley 16-150 150 Series Short Blade 3-Piece Wood Chisel Set||3||$||4.5|
|6. Xacto X5175 Deluxe Woodcarving Set||16||$$||4.6|
|7. SIMILK SK7 Carbon Steel Wood Carving Tools, Crafting Chisel||12||$$||4.3|
|8. IRWIN Marples Woodworking Chisel Set, 6 Piece, M444SB6N||6||$$$||4.6|
|9. Mikisyo Power Grip Carving Tools, Seven Piece Set||7||$$||4.6|
|10. Mudder 17 Pieces Wood Handle Carving Chisels Tools with Whetstones and Storage Case||17||$$||4.4|
When you are looking for the best wood carving tools, there are a few factors that you should always consider.
- Number of Tools. This will depend on where you are on your wood carving journey. If you are new to the craft, you’ll want a set that includes a wide variety of tools so you can try out several different techniques before you choose a more precise kit.
- Type of Carving. Do you want to do chip carving, letter carving, relief carving, or some other type of carving technique? Different applications will call for different tools. Make sure you know what you need before you buy based on the type of carving you hope to accomplish.
- Easy to Sharpen. These tools need to be quick and easy to sharpen. If you try carving with a dull chisel, you’ll end up with is a marred piece of wood. Which, is kind of the opposite of what you’re going for, isn’t it?
- Carbon Steel. Make sure that the tools that you purchase are high quality and high strength carbon steel. Different carving techniques will call for you to hit the tools with a mallet to make the cuts you need, and cheap steel will quickly bend or break.
- Handedness. As with any hand tool, you need to be sure that you’ll be able to use your wood carving tools in your preferred hand comfortably. Many of the products on the market will work on either hand, but that is not true for all of them. Be sure that the set you want will work for you.
Top 3 Best Wood Carving Tools Reviews
Whether you are a master craftsman or a beginner, this set will probably be the best wood carving tools you’ll be able to get your hands on. They are made extremely well and should last you through several years of use.
The handles on each of the tools are curved for comfort and can be used by anyone, regardless of which hand they are held in. This makes them the perfect choice for just about anyone.
Another wonderful feature of this set is the quality of the steel that they are made with. It is extraordinarily durable and razor sharp right out of the box, which is great because it means you can start carving immediately rather than having to sharpen the tools first.
As their name would suggest, these tools also have a “flex” factor to them, which allows you to get a better cutting angle quickly and easily.
Summary: These razor-sharp tools are great for beginners and experts alike, and their flexible yet tough blades make carving a breeze.
If you are in the market for a great set of smaller wood carving tools, then this will be a great buy for you! This set of five tools has smaller sized high-strength steel blades that make carving minuscule details quick and easy.
Much like the number one selection, the handles for these tools are easy to grip and perfect for a left-handed or right-handed woodcarver, since they are rounded. While this makes for an easy grip, it could be a problem when you set them down on your workbench, as rounded handle tools tend to roll away if you’re not too careful.
Summary: These carving tools are small and strong, making them a perfect choice if you are looking to do some fine detail work.
This set comes with a wide variety of knives, chisels, and gouges, making it the perfect choice for a beginning woodcarver. This variety will allow you to try out lots of different tool types until you figure out your carving style. They are made of high-quality, durable steel that is sharp right out of the case.
The handles for these tools are octagonal rather than rounded. This will help to keep them in place on your workbench while they are not in use, which is really handy. The only drawback to this type of handle is that it may cause some hand discomfort until you get used to using the tools for an extended period.
Summary: This is a great set of tools for a beginner to use. The variety of tools will allow you to try different blade types and techniques until you hit on your carving style.